Backyard Chickens in Massachusetts
Raising your own chickens in urban or suburban neighborhoods is becoming more and more popular.
For those who eat eggs and meat, there is no fresher, more healthy and nutritious source than organically fed poultry raised under the personal attention of the owner.
The additional benefits of poultry-raising are also attractive:
- An article by a 15-year old girl in Athol, Massachusetts on raising birds in a city
- A database of many towns in Massachusetts and their poultry-keeping laws and regulations
- A narrative about trying to change zoning laws in Amherst, Massachusetts to accommodate poultry
- An article written by a lawyer about how best to comply with town rules, or to change them
- An answer to common myths about why raising chickens is a bad idea
- An explanation and revival of the World War II era "have-more" plan based on home chickens
- Talking points for keeping poultry - a one-page flyer for educating your community
If you discover or create items which would help people wanting to raise backyard chickens, we would be pleased to add them to our website. Just contact Jack@nofamass.org.
Beginning Farmer Program
Free Monthly Phone/Web Workshop Series
Buy fresh, unpasteurized milk from a local farm.
Read our Soil Carbon Restoration white paper
30th annual Winter Conference January 14, 2017