Job Opening – posted February 15, 2021
Public Relations Coordinator
Part-time, 18 hours/week
Remote position with generally self-directed and flexible schedule. Applicants must live in Massachusetts or neighboring state. Occasional travel within Massachusetts and occasional evening and weekend availability is required.
Application deadline: March 1, 2021.
NOFA/Mass seeks a Public Relations Coordinator to manage our social media strategy, earned media placement, and outreach efforts.
We are looking for an organized and creative candidate to help us share the mission of our organization and stories of our members with the general public, policy makers, funders, and consumers, and to translate complex issues into useful outreach to our audience. Our ideal candidate will be organized, flexible, resourceful, outgoing, a strong writer, fluent in social media posting and engagement, and full of ideas and enthusiasm to help build NOFA/Mass’ online identity and impact.
The Public Relations Coordinator reports directly to the Communications Director.
Social Media Management (40%, ~8 hours/week)
- Work with Communications Director and other staff members to plan strategic, engaging social media campaigns to support NOFA/Mass’ mission and vision
- Maintain internal social media calendar and scheduling for social media posting
- Work with program coordinators, graphic designer and department directors to promote NOFA/Mass events and campaigns
- Manage comments and direct messages across all NOFA/Mass social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- Research and implement creative, strategic social media partnerships, including paid partnerships in collaboration with the Development and Marketing Director
Press and Earned Media Management (30%, ~6 hours/week)
- Research and maintain relevant press contacts
- Write and pitch press releases to local, state, and national press outlets
- Serve as a primary public contact and general spokesperson for NOFA/Mass
- Identify staff and member spokespeople for media features, including in-person, written, verbal and video interviews or features
Member Amplification and Partner Outreach (15%, ~2 hours/week)
- Work with the Communications Director and the greater NOFA community to amplify member voices and related member-centric issues
- Maintain established relationships with partner organizations
- Identify new opportunities for mutual benefit of well-aligned partner organizations, including cross-promotion and media swap agreements
- Follow, pay special attention to, and lift up voices of agricultural BIPOC allies
Administrative (15%, ~2 hours/week)
- Track press coverage and social media statistics
- Submit weekly staff reports to the Executive Director, participate in peer reviews of other centrally-hired NOFA/Mass staff and maintain monthly timesheets and reimbursement records.
- Meet regularly with Communications Director, Educational Events Coordinator and Conference Coordinator to discuss PR needs and strategy
- Attend and contribute to Communications Committee meetings (bimonthly Monday evenings) and other committee meetings as applicable.
The successful candidate will offer:
- A strong commitment to and knowledge of organic/regenerative farming practices
- Strong writing and speaking skills
- Ability work independently from home with minimal supervision and maintain a collaborative nature as a team member
- Motivation to research new subjects and organize data/content for redistribution
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365, Trello and managing business accounts on various social media platforms
Ideal candidate may also have:
- Experience in communications, public relations, media, marketing, food and agriculture, or policy process
- Knowledge of agricultural issues, programs, and policies at the state and/or federal level
- Experience working on racial and/or food justice issues
- Graphic design, illustration, video and audio production, or other creative skills or experience
Other position information:
- This job can generally be accomplished from home. Employee must provide appropriate basic office equipment to facilitate working remotely.
- Hours very flexible with some onsite and virtual organizational meeting attendance required
- Employee must attend NOFA/Mass retreats and staff meetings, the winter and summer conferences, virtual department meetings, and other staff responsibilities.
$16- $21/hour based on experience. No health insurance available at this time. Monthly stipend for internet & phone. One week of paid vacation time after one year of employment.
NOFA/Mass is the Massachusetts state chapter of the Northeast Organic Farming Association.
NOFA/Mass is a non-profit organization with 1100 members, focusing on education and advocacy around organic agriculture in Massachusetts. Our members include farmers, gardeners, homesteaders, consumers, land care professionals, and food activists.
NOFA/Mass staff are allowed and encouraged to exercise self-motivation and in large part to be their own boss.
Through education and advocacy NOFA/Mass promotes organic agriculture to expand the production and availability of nutritious food from living soil for the health of individuals, communities and the planet.
NOFA/Mass envisions a commonwealth of people working together to create healthy landscapes that feed our communities and restore our environment.
How to apply
Please complete a job application form here. The application will require you to upload a resume, cover letter and three references as attachments. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
NOFA/Mass encourages candidates from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds to apply. Please familiarize yourself with our Racial Equity Statement before applying.
NOTE: NOFA/Mass will be hiring for various part-time positions this month. If you are interested in a position with more hours, we encourage you to apply for more than one position. Keep an eye on our website for additional postings.
All staff members are required to be active members of NOFA/Mass. Become a member here.
Contact Christy Bassett, Communications Director, with questions about this position at email@example.com.
NOFA/Mass is an equal opportunity employer who does do not discriminate in employment and contracting practices based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or disability.